Drains that are clogged are a literal nightmare. They however are caused mostly by the people living in the household and are easily preventable. Although there are professional drain-cleaning services, yet on the part of the owner of the house, there should be some kind of cautiousness, regarding how to keep the drains dry and how to maintain them all throughout the year.
Preventive methods to be used for clogged toilets and sinks:
There are some items like papers, grease from foods and food leftovers, cigarette stubs and even the skin of vegetables which are often thrown into the drains. This causes a blockage to the water passage, thereby hindering water to flow smoothly.
- Even toilet paper in large quantities is the cause of drain clogging. Soap wrappers as well as feminine hygiene products will expand in the drain and block the drain. The same applies to plastic toys or other foreign particles.
- The same as paper towels or even face tissues. To prevent all this, a garbage bin lined with a plastic bag should be kept near the toilet bowl and should be used.
How to prevent clogged showers?
Bathroom showers as well as sinks get clogged due to hair as well as soap scraps. Hair does not disintegrate and it forms like a mesh or a coil. Therefore, good meshes should be used to catch all this hair and soap and it should be disposed off in the bin else it will re-enter.
Get rid of foul-smelling kitchen skinks:
Kitchen sinks need to have a strainer else they will allow food particles to go down the drain and this will clog the drain up.
- Grease should never be thrown down the drain but should be drained into a receptacle and thrown away separately. This is because grease when it is cold it hardens and lines the pipes.
- Therefore, to clean the kitchen sink, you should allow hot water to pass through the drains to help get rid of whatever grease and oil has gone through while washing the dishes.
- They should never be put into the drain as they tend to settle in the pipe. Also, paint, glue or even wax should never be allowed down the drain.
- These harden the pipes and block the drain. When garbage disposals are used, the food should be loosely put in else the scraps which are tightly packed will clog the machine. In order to flush the food out of the drainpipe, the water should be allowed to run for a minute or two after the disposal is allowed, to flush food out of the drainpipe. It is also mandatory that you use only the organic and the non-chemical ingredients for cleaning the drain, as the chemicals can corrode the sides of the sink pipes.
How to unblock the pipes of laundry machine?
These have lint traps. These need to be cleaned after ever use. Nylon meshes can also be used over the discharge hose so that excess lint can be collected. Also, when one is leaving for holidays or is not going to be at home for some time, it makes sense to shut off the valves of hot as well as cold water for the laundry machine.
An easy way to clean block drains is to pour a cup of baking soda into the drain. This should be followed by a cup of vinegar. After some time, a cup of boiling water can be poured into the drain. This will prevent clogs.
Once a week the pop up stoppers of bathroom sinks need to be cleaned as well as the shower or bathtub drain. The garbage disposal unit can be cleaned monthly. In short, you can mark out the drain-cleaning plans all by yourself, to get rid of clogged drains.